Chime has certain restrictions in place to avoid duplicate being added to the database as well as to make users aware of leads that are potentially the same person to avoid wasted efforts by any party involved. There are two different situations where duplicate lead logic will apply: (a) when doing a CSV lead import and (b) leads are already in the system.
*The same email address can only be added ONE TIME per team.
(a) CSV Import
More information regarding lead importing can be found here: Import your Leads to Chime
Here are the situations when a lead would be considered a "duplicate" per Chime's logic:
- If the CSV lead and the CRM lead both have the same email address
- For when the CSV lead and the CRM do not have the same email address. . .
- If the lead's name and phone number are the same in the CRM and CSV
- If the lead's name is the same in the CRM and CSV but neither have a phone number
When importing, there are two options available to select from after marching up the columns but prior to finalizing the import.
Option 1: Merge Leads. Selecting this option will merge the duplicates from the CSV with those that match already in the database per the four points listed above.
Option 2: Skip Leads. This option will simply make it so that leads that match the four points above will not even be imported into Chime and will instead be skipped.
Here is where both options will appear during the import process:
(b) leads already in the system
As stated at the beginning, it's important to note that no two leads can be added into Chime if they both have the same email address. In other words, if a User1 adds a lead with the email <email@example.com> and then User6 tries to add a lead with the same email (<firstname.lastname@example.org>), User6 will be unable to do so because that email already exists. This is per team. If a user is on a separate team (using Chime Enterprise), they will be able to have a the same lead on each team were it necessary.
However, if a lead is in the Chime CRM and the criteria matches either of the following situations, the system will notify the Chime user that it might be a duplicate. They can then choose to act on that notification or dismiss it.
- if a lead’s phone (including family members phone) is the same as the other lead’s phone
- if a lead’s name is the same as the other lead’s name
This is seen in two different spots:
(1) When adding a lead manually via the People page. This is only triggered based on the phone number or email address.
(2) When looking at a lead profile that has triggered a duplicate. Here, the user can see the duplicate lead’s name and who owns the lead. If the user has access to both leads, they will have the option to merge the leads with the "Merge" button.
Another option is to choose two leads manually on the people page and then select the "Merge" button that appears on the menu at the left.
When actually merging leads, the first question is to select the "Merging Mode" which offers the following options:
- "One of the leads is a duplicate."
- If this option is selected, the Chime user will need to make a choice between which record is the primary record between the two. The other lead’s information will be merged to the primary lead.
- "These 2 leads are family to each other."
- With this option, the Chime user will have to make a choice between which record is the primary record between the two. The secondary record's information will be attached as a family member to the primary lead.
**IMPORTANT: If the Chime user does not want to ever merge the duplicate leads, they can click the ‘X' at the right side. After the user confirms that they want to dismiss the duplicate reminder, the yellow prompt will never appear again on this lead. If lead A is a duplicate of lead B and lead C, the prompt will show up on one lead at random. After closing one prompt, another will appear for the other duplicate lead and will have to be dismissed if needed.
Chime also supports the ability to more easily merge leads from the mobile app.
When a lead is a duplicate, a message will appear at the top of the lead detail page:
By clicking the “Merge” button, the following options will appear at the bottom of the screen:
- Merge as Duplicates
- Merge as Family Members
- View Lead Detail
If you have any questions regarding this topic or any others, please reach out to our Support Team via email at <email@example.com> or by phone at 1 (855) 981-7557.