This article will cover the topic of domain configuration for when you want to use your own domain for your Chime IDX website. There are multiple points that are part of this topic:
- Company Sites/Group Sites/Team Sites
- Agent Subdomains
- Agent Websites
- SSL Certificates
*IMPORTANT: Your Chime site will appear at _________.chime.me until it is configured to another URL via the steps indicated in this article.
Company Sites/Group Sites/Team Sites
As Company Sites/Group Sites/Team Sites will be a parent site to subdomains, they need to own a top-level vanity domain(like chimedemo.com).
There are two ways to configure your domain
1. Use Your Own Domain
You will need to have a domain name purchased from a domain provider. Once you have a domain name to configure, you can follow the instructions below on connecting your domain to Chime:
*IMPORTANT: If you purchase a domain via Chime (see Vanity Domain Purchase), you do not need to follow any of the following steps as they will be done for you automatically.
- Connect your own domain to Chime
- There are 2 locations where to do this step. Location 1: CMS dashboard> VANITY DOMAIN SETUP> Use Your Own Domain> Enter the domain name and click Next.
- Location 2: CMS dashboard> Setting> Basic Info> Domain> Enter the domain name and click Save.
Note: To finish the connection, you should update your domain's DNS records in your domain host account (usually the company you bought your domain from). You will see a step-by-step outline in your Chime dashboard, which will help you to go through the steps to change the DNS records in your domain's current host account.
Domain Configuration Process
When your domain has not yet been connected to your Chime website, we will guide you step by step to update your domain settings. Below are the 5 steps.
- Step 1 - Log in to domain provider
- Open a new tab in your browser
- Go to your domain host's site and log in
- Click I have logged in
- Step 2 - Find domain settings page
- Go to the domains page on your domain host's site
- Find where you manage the domain‘s settings
- Click I found my domain settings
- Step 3 - Find your DNS Records
- In your domain settings, find the area where you manage or edit DNS server records
- Return to Chime domains page
- Click I found the DNS records
- Step 4 - Change the A Records
- For example, if your Chime website was going to be configured with the domain "abc.com," the A records would need to be configured as follows. Do the same but with your domain:
Value: 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
- Note: other A records or AAAA records other than one of the sets shown above need to be removed
- Click I have updated my A records
- Step 5 - Add a new CNAME record
- "Name" = www and "Value" = yourdomain.com (replace with your domain)
- Save your changes
- Return to your Chime domainpage
- Click I have updated my CNAME records
If your domain setup failed, please check your domain settings again and contact Chime Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need additional assistance. If your domain has been set up successfully, we will automatically install the SSL certificate on your website. In addition, Facebook and Google log-ins will be configured automatically.
Continue to Set up Domain
Navigate to: CMS dashboard> VANITY DOMAIN SETUP> Configure Domain
When your domain configuration process has not yet been completed, you can click the button Configure Domain to continue.
SSL Certificate Setup
After the domain has been set up successfully, we will automatically install the SSL certificate on your website. If the SSL certificate installation failed, we will send a notification email after SSL has been installed successfully.
2. Get a New Domain
If you do not have a domain yet, you can purchase one via Chime. For more details, please visit Vanity Domain Purchase.
More information regarding subdomains can be found HERE. Subdomains refer to third-level domains only. Examples of a third-level domain could be the following (firstlast.domain.com):
Please note that using "firstlast.domain.com" will only be an option once the main team site domain is configured as a vanity domain (e.g. chimerealestate.com) AND a wildcard CNAME has been added to the domain settings as seen here below:
- Name = *
- Value = yourdomain.com
*Please note that not all domain providers support wildcard rules. A wildcard rule in place will allow for the Agent Subdomains to be created automatically but you can still contact Chime Support if they need to be configured manually.
If you do not want to add the wildcard CNAME to set all of your subdomains to point to our servers, you can still configure your subdomains one by one. As an example, we can use "chimerealestate.com" as the main team website and "maryrodriguez.chimerealestate.com" as the subdomain to demonstrate how this would need to be set up. To make this work you would need to do the following (using your domain + subdomain, of course):
1. Change the A records
2. Add the CNAMEs
3. Create a subdomain manually in your site list.
If you have multiple Agent Subdomains to add, you would add another CNAME with their name and make sure everything else is in place as described above.
*IMPORTANT: We do not recommend including "www" within the subdomain CNAME itself. In other words, you would not want to put "www.maryrodriguez" in the CNAME value instead of what was shown in the example above.
More information regarding Agent Websites can be found HERE. Please note that an Agent Website is an add-on purchase per agent and can be added via the Chime Marketplace:
Regarding domain configuration, the following options are available for Agent Websites:
- Use your own domain
- Examples: firstlast.com | teamname.com | mybrand.com
- Get a New Domain
- Please refer to Vanity Domain Purchase
- Use a third level domain
- Examples: firstlast.abcrealestate.com | teamname.abcrealestate.com | territory.mybrand.com
- Follow the same steps as outlined for Agent Subdomains.
For more information regarding SSL Certificates, please reference the following article: Website SSL Certificates.
If you have any questions regarding this topic or any others, please reach out to our Support Team via email at <email@example.com> or by phone at 1 (855) 981-7557.